We’re excited to announce the formation of MYD’s new Issues Assembly! Each month, MYD will hold a member-driven unconference to discuss issues that matter to young New Yorkers.
The agenda will be created by attendees at the beginning of the meeting. Everyone is encouraged to initiate discussions, introduce new issues, and have fun! Issues of interest will get breakout space for folks to discuss further.
Our first Issues Assembly will be held tonight, February 10th at 7pm at 21 W 46th Street, 16th floor.
If anyone has a cool office space and would like to host the next Issues Assembly, let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you tonight!
Our General Meeting and Officer Elections have been postponed until TUESDAY February 3rd at 7PM.
Join us at the Gramercy Park Bar (322 2nd Ave) to cast your ballot for 2015 Officers, catch up with old friends and hear about the latest in NYC Politics.
Stay safe and warm out there!
On Tuesday January 20th we will be hosting our Injustice: It’s Not Just Us event.
Injustice: It’s Not Just Us is a nonpartisan panel event which seeks to address the administration of fair and equal justice.
Following the recent events in Ferguson and Staten Island, we will provide an opportunity to learn about what we can do to tackle racial injustice from well versed experts in politics, social and criminal justice.
Tickets are a available here!
- Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, 18th Brooklyn Borough President, Former NYS Senator (20th District), Former Police Captain and Co-Founder of 100 Blacks in law Enforcement Who Care
- Dr. Christina Greer, Professor of Political Science at Fordham University, author of Black Ethnics and Political Commentator
- Michael Skolnik, Political Director for Russell Simmons, Justice League Board Member and President of GlobalGrind.com
- Linda Sarsour, Executive Director of the Arab American Association of New York and Civil Rights Advocate
- Glenn E. Martin, Founder and Executive Director of JustLeadershipUSA and advisory board member of the Vera Institute’s Public Health and Mass Incarceration Initiative
The Manhattan Young Democrats applaud today’s decision by Governor Andrew Cuomo and Acting NYS Health Commissioner Howard Zucker to fully ban fracking in New York State. MYD is opposed to the dangerous practice of hydrofracking, understanding it poses a threat to our health and safety. We are proud our Democratic Governor took the right steps to keep New Yorkers safe and healthy. Here’s to a clean day and a cleaner future for New York!