Join the discussion on our discussion, join our LGBT Issues Committee Facebook Page. Shoot a line to lgbt [at] gomyd [dot] com if you have any a question.
The LGBT Issues Committee is currently running a campaign to pass Marriage Equality in New York.
The debate over the freedom to marry is about the right to enter into the state-created institution of civil marriage only. After all, marriage is a civil right and two consenting adults should be allowed to enter into the institution if they so choose.Unlike some religious definitions, civil definitions of marriage do not usually mention childbearing, sexual relations, living arrangements, or religious belief/observance.
Aside from the discrimination arguments that are well documented, the GAO found that there are 1138 rights that accompany civil marriage. The list includes thirteen categories of rights and benefits, including:
- Social Security and Related Programs, Housing, and Food Stamps
- Veterans’ Benefits
- Federal Civilian and Military Service Benefits
- Employment Benefits and Related Laws
- Immigration, Naturalization, and Aliens
- Trade, Commerce, and Intellectual Property
- Financial Disclosure and Conflict of Interest