Applications are officially open for 2017 MYD Directorships!
2017 is going to be a challenging and complex year, and we’re looking for some great people to join our team. If you’re interested in getting more involved with MYD and our regular operations next year, take a look at the first round of open positions below!
Applications for the positions listed are due by Friday, December 9th at 5 PM. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
In addition to the duties described below, all Directors are expected to attend monthly board meetings and general meetings. These meetings generally occur on Tuesday evenings. All Directors are also expected to assist in major fundraising efforts. All candidates should be prepared to attend their first Board meeting as early as January 3rd, should you be appointed.
To apply, simply fill out the form at the bottom, and email it and your resume to: [email protected]. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Director Descriptions (in no particular order):
- Political Director – The Political Director is responsible for tracking elections, candidates, and appointments of interest to MYD. The Political Director will also assist in developing and managing campaign strategy and mobilization for MYD this election season, including volunteer recruitment and deployment. Additionally, the Political Director will help ensure that MYD has a strong presence amongst the local political clubs.
- Policy Director – The Policy Director is responsible for developing the policy platform and agenda for MYD, in consultation with the Executive Board and the general membership, and will oversee the coordination of all issue-based task forces. The Policy Director will also consult on policy related programming. Additionally, the Policy Director will be eligible to chair our monthly Issues Assembly meetings.
- Technical Director – The Technical Director is responsible for maintenance and development of the MYD website, and general web presence. The Technical Director will also maintain all MYD email accounts, and will be responsible for developing new tools to aid in the efficient and effective operations of MYD.
- Membership Director – The Membership Director is responsible for growing the general membership of MYD and building membership participation. The Membership Director will also maintain the MYD membership list, and ensure that all required charter information and dues are collected. Additionally, the Membership Director will be eligible to chair the monthly Issues Assembly meetings.
- Programming Director – The Programming Director is responsible for coordinating all regular MYD programming. Such programming includes the organization of Learning Labs and other training sessions of subjects of policy and politics. The Programming Director will also coordinate speakers and presenters for any panel discussions organized by MYD, as well as for general body meetings. Additionally, the Programming Director will be eligible to chair the monthly Issues Assembly meetings.
- Finance Director – The Finance Director is responsible for raising funds for MYD by tracking donors and finding new sources of funding for the organization. The Finance Director will also assist the Treasurer in filing reports and meeting deadlines. The Finance Director will work closely with the Events Director in planning fundraisers.
- Events Director – The Events Director is responsible for planning and executing event logistics for the organization. These events may include, but are not limited to fundraisers, conventions, panels and special events. The Events Director will also organize logistics for all regularly scheduled MYD meetings, including general body meetings and Issues Assemblies.
- Communications Director – The Communications Director is responsible for regular media outreach and communications on all mediums, including social media. The Communications Director is also responsible for consistent messaging and development of official statements, in consultation with the Secretary.
- College & University Liaison – The College & University Liaison will act as a liaison between the MYD Executive Board and local colleges and universities, and will coordinate and implement recruitment efforts at these institutions.
- High School Liaison – The High School Liaison will act as a liaison between the MYD Executive Board and local high schools, and will coordinate and implement recruitment efforts at these institutions.
MYD Director Application
Position Applying For:
MYD events attended in 2016:
Please answer the following questions.
1) What is your vision for the Manhattan Young Democrats for 2017? Please give some specific examples of initiatives you would undertake throughout the year.
2) Why do you think you’re a good fit? Please list relevant experiences you would draw from and strengths you could bring to the position you are running for.
3) Serving on the executive board of MYD is a significant time commitment. How committed will you be as a member — how would you be able to fit your leadership responsibilities within your current schedule? Please list your commitments outside of your employment (i.e. leadership positions in other clubs).
4) Give an example of an issue that’s important to young New Yorkers and how you would, from your position, engage our membership to take action.
5) (Optional) Is there anything else you think MYD’s membership should know about you or your candidacy?